ACT’s innovative BA in English features concentrations in Language and Literature, and Communication and New Media. The program of studies has been designed to be fresh, modern, and relevant to the academic and professional realities of today. After a shared cluster of common courses in the general area of English, students take courses in their selected concentration, complemented by additional courses from other divisions, to create essentially a unique 40-course undergraduate degree that blends academic knowledge with transferrable skills.
The aims of the BA in English are the following:
- to provide students with a solid background in the subject areas of literature, linguistics, media and cultural studies;
- to cultivate students’ analytical and creative skills for intellectual and professional purposes;
- to enable students to explore the evolution of English studies as it intersects a variety of theoretical approaches and academic disciplines;
- to help students become more astute readers, writers, thinkers, and communicators;
- to challenge students to operate more effectively in multicultural, interdisciplinary environments, both as students and future professionals; and
- to inspire confidence, open-mindedness, and personal and professional success